Friday, August 16, 2019

NEW REVIEW: "Loving Vincent" (2017)


MRMOVIESETC REVIEWS:

“Loving Vincent” (2017)


In one word: Amazing.

In three words: A must see.*

In far more words: …

*** 

As soon as the end credits began to roll for “Loving Vincent”, I wanted to jump up and punch into this review that this is the coolest film I have ever seen. Before, however, I could make it up the stairs to my laptop, I had to take a breath to focus and realize that would be a far too general term for cinema. Then, I thought perhaps the coolest-looking animated film I have ever seen would be more appropriate, and if it’s not on top, it is sure as Hell in the Top Three.

“Loving Vincent” is not only awe-inspiring in presentation, but also a slightly better story short of a ninety-minute masterpiece. To my knowledge, this type of movie has never been done before, and truthfully, I’m astonished it was ever funded to exist in the first place. In this era of filmmaking, could one really imagine a pitch consisting of filming a feature about Vincent van Gogh where real life actors play out their respective parts, and then have all the scenes done over by a few hundred painters to make the entire film look like an in-motion Van Gogh painting? I guess in Europe, where hand-drawn animation is still a respected medium, that answer was a resounding “Yes!” For that, I can safely say, the film world is a better place thanks to it.

While the story of “Loving Vincent” obviously hearkens to the life of Van Gogh, and in this case specifically, rural France one year after his supposed suicide, the focus is more on Armand Roulin (Douglas Booth), whom is tasked by his postman father to deliver a letter written by Vincent to his brother Theo a few weeks before his death. Since apparently it was not illegal at this time to go through other people’s postage, the story of suicide feels odd to Armand since the tone in Vincent’s letter comes off as entirely too upbeat for someone considering the path of taking his own life.

Almost immediately, the plot turns from another routine mission for Armand into a plausible mystery caper or sorts. While at first it goes in a “What happened?” approach as to why Van Gogh would do such a thing to himself, it slowly becomes darker and more suspicious with each passing conversation Armand has with those that were with or spoke to Vincent merely days before his untimely end. Leads and stories passed on to Armand give the impression that perhaps it wasn’t a suicide at all, but instead, cold-blooded murder either out of jealousy for his remarkable talent or out of petty misunderstandings for his curious, introverted behavior. Eventually, Armand becomes so absorbed in finding the truth that he grows a complete disregard for his normal life to the point of losing his employment and his ability to afford proper housing.

I mentioned in the introduction that “Loving Vincent” was just short of a masterpiece due to its story, and while that is true from where I sit, it is still good enough. At no real point in time did I ever get the feeling that there was drag in the pacing or any particular scenes were time-wasting filler; however, I was left wanting more. Not necessarily in the way of anything needing to be added, but clearly there was enough material here to have made Vincent more present on the screen. Seeing as he’s the one we’re made to bleed our hearts out for, he was strangely absent.

It was pretty obvious by the end that the goal narrative-wise was to pull some tears out of the audience, and, sure, the man died in his prime and came across as a decent human being, so it’s going to be sad by default to a degree. I only speak for myself on this because I am a pretty tough egg to crack when it comes to the “feels” and getting the waterworks going in earnest, so it was a little disappointing that I didn’t get that soul tug that I was hoping would happen. Nevertheless, though, like I said, it is a story that is engaging enough, thanks in part to a solid performance by Douglas Booth, whom had carried nearly the whole thing. The supporting cast consisting of Saoirse Ronan, Chris O’Dowd, and Jerome Flynn were top-notch as well.

Moving on to the animation side of this review; this is where I would usually start geeking out, but honestly it’s difficult this time around. Sure, I could go on about how the wonders of rotoscoping helped these filmmakers painstakingly churn out easily one of the most original film visual concepts ever made, but I trust anybody reading this can use Google without my assistance.

What I can say is that, at least for me, this particular style takes a few minutes to get used to. I don’t know if any of you are trained in seeing oil paints move at high speeds with its various textures and contrasts of light and dark colors, but let’s just say it can be, for lack of a better term, dizzying. Fortunately, once that settles and eyes are adequately adjusted, the experience is a rather unforgettable one as one scene fluidly transforms into another. Even the expressiveness on the characters’ faces come through astonishingly well considering the slick, glossy appearances of the paint. This was my main concern going in, and I am very impressed with how well it translated. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s flawless, though I am certainly not artistically gifted enough to complain. Still, I think it’s safe to say that if Vincent were alive to see this, he would be proud.

You may have noticed the disclaimer asterisk that I placed up top with the statement of “Loving Vincent” being a must see. I put that out there for those whom are likely to know right off the bat if they are the type of viewer for a film like this. It’s not at all complicated and overly contemplative, but it is an art film, and those don’t generally appeal to mass sensibilities. However, if this does appear on the surface as something you’ve been curious about but haven’t pulled the trigger on yet, I strongly urge you to do so. This is the kind of project that makes film exciting; not just as it is, but what it can also become from here.

This is a feature that deserves all kinds of praise, and I certainly stand behind mine. Highly recommended!

“Loving Vincent”: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment