Monday, January 14, 2019

TOP 10 FIRST-TIME WATCHED FILMS in 2018


Greetings, Film Fanatics!

I thought it would be fun to do one more Top 10 list before putting 2018 in the rearview mirror. Granted, the title sucks, but the premise here is that these are the Top 10 movies I saw for the first time during 2018 that were released prior to 2018.

I won’t get too in depth with these. Some of them I have already done a short or full review on, but if you want to see a review on any of these, give me a shout!

Here are the Top 10 First-Time Watched Films in 2018:


#10: “THE VANISHING” (1988)


Before the FilmStruck streaming service met its (*sob*) untimely demise, I managed to squeeze in “The Vanishing” – a film I’ve had my eye on for a while. Being in the Criterion library, and knowing nothing about it, I was more or less expecting an exceptionally well-crafted “whodunit” type of caper. The craftsmanship part was definitely true, but what I did not see coming was the story being told mostly from the point of view of the kidnapper; a kidnapper that’s also a family man and possibly sociopathic. Despite that, story still manages to string the audience along in wondering exactly what happened to the kidnapped wife of the main protagonist.

What’s not to love?


#9: “THE DEVIL’S CANDY” (2017)


A horror film that contains demon possession, a Metallica soundtrack, and some really badass paintings?

It’s on Netflix. Go watch it. Chop chop!


#8: “THE FLORIDA PROJECT” (2017)


Not only is this film depressing, but it’s made all the more depressing by having disappointment lurking around every corner just waiting to crush all the kids’ child-like wonders while Willem Dafoe secretly tries to play the hero; however, knowing deep down that he’s completely powerless.

You’re welcome.

Hey, at least the ending is about as beautifully poetic as you could get given the circumstances. And there's quite a bit of humor, so there's that.


#7: “FERDINAND” (2017)


Score another one for Blue Sky. It’s kind of too bad that the studio is currently relying on an “Ice Age” sequel every two years to keep a decent income coming in, because after this and “The Peanuts Movie”, I’m ready to be a believer.


#6: “THE INTOUCHABLES” (2011)


I didn’t even know until about two weeks ago that this was getting a remake by the title of “The Upside”. That being the case, I’m really glad I saw this original first so I can happily avoid “The Upside”. Even if it ends up being good, Kevin Hart could not touch Omar Sy’s performance, and frankly, I’m not sure Bryan Cranston is the right guy to play Phillipe either.

Long story short, give this movie a chance even if you don’t like subtitles. It’s funny and charming in all the right ways.


#5: “THE FAULT IN OUR STARS” (2014)


Okay, fine, I’ll admit I was one of those people that immediately wrote this off back in 2014 as nothing more than Kleenex bait for the Hallmark crowd so they’d have an excuse to go home and guilt trip their significant others about whatever. Instead, I can now happily say that this is one of the best romantic dramedies I’ve seen in ages, and it makes me feel even worse for a decent actress like Shailene Woodley getting roped into that “Divergent” fiasco.

P.S., I may have gotten a little emotional during this film because I saw it after “Baby Driver”.

“If you can outrun Kevin Spacey, you can outrun cancer goddammit. You can’t die, Baby!”


#4: “LE SILENCE DE LA MER” (1949)


Never once did I consider the possibility that I could ever feel sympathy towards a Nazi – and now I have felt sympathy towards a Nazi.

What’s even more shocking is how the film managed this whilst only taking place 99% of the time in a single room where the Nazi is doing all the talking. Seriously, though, watching the transformation from braggadocious asshole to art-loving man that realizes he’s made one hell of a mistake, yet is still screwed because he’s sworn his allegiance to the Reich was quite the cinematic experience. It’s a slow burner, but wow, was it worthwhile.


#3: “BEFORE I WAKE” (2016)


Yes, I know it was released on Netflix in 2018, but after going through the shuffle and getting screened in 2016, that was the year I ultimately used. Either way, Netflix better release this on blu-ray, because it blew any and all expectations out of the sky. It’s scary, it’s touching, and I hope it finds the audience it deserves after the production hell it went through.


#2: “BIRD BOY: THE FORGOTTEN CHILDREN” (2015)


HO-LY SHIT.

There was neither sunshine nor rainbow to be found. It has violence, suicidal-like depression, drug-use, racism, and murder - most of these things involving teenagers – and I loved every damn second of it. Being an animation nerd, I loved that aspect too, but the story was so relentless and brutal; yet, somehow, it still lights a fire of hope in the audience that the protagonists might just succeed in their endeavors.

This film might be one of my new favorite things, ever.


#1: “GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES” (1988)


I know, I know – I just called myself an animation nerd, and yet it took me this long to see “Grave of the Fireflies”. Epic fail on my part.

Be that as it may, would it help to know that this film tore my heart out of my chest and curb-stomped it to death? No, really, this movie completely and utterly CRUSHED me. I’m talking a lump in my throat the size of a baseball. I guess I can partially thank parenthood for that, but even if I weren’t one in real life, “Fireflies” still probably would have killed me. To see this young boy try so hard to survive and fail, mainly due to his pride, is almost too much to swallow.

It may take a while before I can watch that one again. No matter how long that takes, I will never be able to forget this film. It is truly that powerful.


I hope you enjoyed this list! I may have a few random ones throughout the year, but for the most part, I'm looking forward to another great year of film!

No comments:

Post a Comment